Richard has over two decades of experience representing clients in patent, trade secret, copyright, trademark, and other complex litigation. He has litigated patent cases in a wide variety of technologies, including wireless communications systems, data management software, artificial intelligence, medical devices, and biopharmaceuticals.
A trial attorney experienced in all phases of litigation, Richard has tried numerous cases in state and federal courts throughout the country as well as before the U.S. International Trade Commission. He also advises clients on transactions involving the acquisition and licensing of intellectual property assets. Since 2015, he has been consistently recognized as a Super Lawyer, and prior to that a Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Richard previously served as a law clerk to the Honorable Charles F. Eick in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
In his free time, Richard enjoys biking and hiking in the parks around the Bay Area with his wife and two sons.
Awards & Recognition
- Super Lawyers (2015 – 2021)
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2012 – 2014)
- Harvard Law School, J.D. (2000)
- Stanford University, B.S., Biology (1997); A.B., Psychology, with Distinction (1996)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Freeny v. Murphy Oil USA. Represented the Freeny brothers and won a $9.25 million jury verdict in a patent infringement action involving automated pricing systems.
SAI v. Qualcomm. Represented SAI in a breach of contract case involving a software development agreement. Following two successful bench trials, obtained a $12.5 million jury verdict.
Freeny v. Apple, et al. Represented the Freeny brothers in a series of patent infringement actions involving wireless communications systems.
Twin Peaks Software v. Red Hat. Represented Twin Peaks in a patent and copyright infringement action involving virtual file systems.
Prism Technologies v. Adobe Systems, et al. Represented Prism in multiple patent infringement actions involving network security technology.
Teva Pharmaceuticals v. Amgen. Represented Amgen in a patent infringement action involving granulocyte colony stimulating factor.
O2 Micro v. BiTEK. Represented O2 Micro in a patent infringement action involving power converter technology used in LCD screens. Obtained a verdict of infringement in favor of O2 Micro after a three-day trial.
O2 Micro v. Rohm. Represented O2 Micro in a patent infringement action involving power converter technology. Obtained a favorable settlement after a four-day trial.
Genentech v. Amgen. Represented Amgen in a patent infringement action involving recombinant DNA technology.
Sun Microsystems v. Microsoft. Represented Sun Microsystems in a private antitrust action involving Java technology. Case resulted in a $1.95 billion settlement for Sun.